3-1 defeat to HSV to start the season

FC Schalke 04 lost 3-1 at home to Hamburger SV on matchday 1 of the 2021/22 season. 19,770 fans attended the game at the VELTINS-Arena. Simon Terodde put the Royal Blues ahead after eight minutes against his former side, however Robert Glatzel (53’), Moritz Heyer (86’) and Bakery Jatta (90’) all scored in the second half to give HSV the three points.

Eight new signings in the starting XI

Dimitrios Grammozis opted for a 3-5-2 formation on Friday evening. New signing Danny Latza captained the side, and he was one of eight summer arrivals in the starting XI along with Marcin Kaminski, Thomas Ouwejan, Reinhold Ranftl, Victor Pálsson, Dominick Drexler, Marius Bülter and Simon Terodde. Bleron Krasniqi (from the U23s) came off the bench in the second half to also make his maiden appearance for the club.

Michael Langer started in goal for the Royal Blues in Ralf Fährmann’s absence. ‘Ralle’ tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this week and has been in quarantine since, while the rest of team voluntarily entered a quarantine training camp before this game.

Terodde scores, Langer saves

Dimitrios Grammozis’ players were fully committed from the off and started at a high intensity in front of the vocal home fans. Simon Terodde came close to giving the Royal Blues the lead after six minutes. Marius Bülter’s cross was headed towards the striker by Danny Latza and Terodde shot on the turn, just dragging it wide past the far post.

Two minutes later, though, Terodde did find the back of the net. Bülter played him in behind after Dominick Drexler made a big tackle in midfield and Terodde dinked it over the goalkeeper for his first goal for the club (8’). The celebrations in the VELTINS-Arena were short-lived, as the linesmen’s flag went straight up. The offside decision was checked by VAR and Terodde was shown to be onside – 1-0 to Schalke!

The visitors took some time to get into the game, especially considering how quickly Schalke started. Without really creating a clear-cut chance, they were then awarded a penalty after 27 minutes. Florian Flick tripped David Kinsombi in the box and referee Timo Gerach pointed to the spot. Robert Glatzel stepped for HSV, but Michael Langer went the right way and parried his shot. The rebound then cleared the bar to keep Schalke ahead!

It took a while for S04’s next opportunity – in the 36th minute, Drexler headed it to Marius Bülter, who drove into the box and went past Jonas David. His low drive could only find the side-netting. The first half ended 1-0, although without captain Danny Latza. He suffered a blow to his knee after around half an hour and eventually had to go off a few minutes later, with Blendi Idrizi taking his place.

Three HSV second-half goals

Just like the first half, there was a goal scored quickly in the second period. This time, it was HSV celebrating. Tim Leibold’s free-kick was saved by Michael Langer, only for Robert Glatzel to convert the rebound from close range (53’). Schalke almost immediately regained the lead after conceding, breaking quickly. The ball ended up at Thomas Ouwejan from Terodde, however his shot was well kept out by a strong hand from Daniel Heuer Fernandes.

Six minutes later, Terodde almost scored again. He initially headed a corner towards goal, which was parried by Heuer Fernandes. He then threw himself at the rebound, and this eventually resulted in the ball hitting the post and coming back out.

After Terodde’s double chance, the game was then played at a lower tempo. Hamburg enjoyed more of the ball, without carving out huge clear-cut opportunities. With time running out, the visitors were able to take the lead with a huge goal. Substitutes Maximilian Rohr and Moritz Heyer combined to find the back of the net, with the latter finding the far corner with a left-footed strike (86’). S04 pushed for an equaliser and did come close from two consecutive set pieces. Firstly, Kaminski’s powerful header was turned over by Heuer Fernandes. The HSV shotstopper was then on his toes from the resulting corner, denying Terodde with his shoulder. Any hopes Schalke then had of gaining a point were killed off when Bakery Jatta perfectly met a cross at the back post to make it 3-1.

Kiel away

Matchday 2 will see Schalke face another side who almost got promoted to the Bundesliga last season. Grammozis’ team are away at Holstein Kiel on Sunday, 1st August at 13:30 CEST. The Storks finished third in 2020/21, losing out on promotion in the relegation play-off against 1. FC Köln.

Seite teilen