2-2 draw in Mainz

FC Schalke 04 took a point on the road on Saturday afternoon (7/11), drawing 2-2 in Mainz. Both goals for the hosts came from the spot, while Mark Uth scored a stunning free-kick and Jeremiah St. Juste’s own goal rescued a point for S04.

Eight changes to the team

Ozan Kabak returned to the starting XI after his suspension. Seven other players came into the team after the 4-1 win over Schweinfurt in midweek, with only Kilian Ludewig, Matija Nastasic and Alessandro Schöpf keeping their place in the side.

Three set-piece goals

Mainz took the lead early on in the OPEL ARENA thanks to a penalty from Daniel Brosinski (6’). The spot-kick had been given after a foul by on Jonathan Burkardt by Matija Nastasic was picked up by VAR, with referee Patrick Ittrich initially letting play continue.

Schalke reacted well to going behind and grew into the game, creating several first-half chances. Mark Uth had the first big opportunity to level proceedings after a cutback from Goncalo Paciencia, however he couldn’t sort his feet out in front of goal (22’). Uth, however, was the man to score Schalke’s equaliser. The attacker curled a beautiful free-kick over the wall from the edge of the box in the 36th minute. Mainz keeper Robin Zentner made a good save from Paciencia four minutes later to keep the scores level.

As it looked like the first half would end 1-1, Mainz won another penalty right on the stroke of half time. Jean-Philippe Mateta burst into the S04 box and was taken down by Ozan Kabak. Mateta took it himself this time and sent Rönnow the wrong way to make it 2-1. The Danish keeper did make a great save with his foot in the fifth minute of added time to ensure Schalke were still in touching distance of Mainz for the second period.

Schiedsrichter Patrick Ittrich

Kabak goal ruled out – own goal saves the day

The Royal Blues seemed to have their second equaliser of the afternoon shortly into the second half. Ozan Kabak had the ball in the back of the net from a corner, however VAR showed that the Turkish international had handled the ball before scoring (50’).

Jonathan Burkardt had a good chance to make it 3-1 at the other end – Rönnow was on hand once again though (56’). Goncalo Paciencia dragged a shot wide in the 65th minute, before Uth also missed the target with another shot (70’).

Schalke continued to press for a goal and this led to chances on the break for the Zerofivers. One of those opportunities fell to Mateta, who bent his shot past the far post (78’). Manuel Baum’s side then got their second goal finally with just eight minutes to play. Steven Skrzybski’s delivery was punched by Zentner into his defender Jeremiah St. Juste and the ball ended up in Mainz’s goal (82’).

Shortly after, Moussa Niakhaté grabbed Paciencia’s shirt in the box, however nor Ittrich or VAR felt it was enough for a penalty. Both teams sought a late winner, but it ended 2-2 in Mainz.

Wolfsburg up next after the international break

Schalke’s next game is at home to VfL Wolfsburg at the VELTINS-Arena (21/11, 15:30 CET). Several Royal Blues will be away with their countries before then, with the final international break of the year taking place this coming week, including decisive UEFA Nations League games and qualifiers in Africa.



Share page