2-2 draw at home against Frankfurt

FC Schalke 04 drew 2-2 at home against Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday (20/5). Simon Terodde put S04 ahead in the first minute, only to see the visitors turn the game around through goals from Daichi Kamada and Tuta. Sebastian Polter came off the bench to earn the Royal Blues a deserved point late on.

Five changes – Jenz returns

Head coach Thomas Reis made five changes to the side that lost away to Bayern last time out. Moritz Jenz returned from injury to start at centre-back, while Henning Matriciani, Rodrigo Zalazar, Tim Skarke and Simon Terodde were all also recalled to the starting XI. Marius Bülter was suspended after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season in Munich and Jere Uronen missed out with muscular problems. Marcin Kaminski, Danny Latza and Michael Frey were named on the bench.

Terodde’s early goal cancelled out by Kamada

The game started perfectly for the Royal Blues, who took the lead in the first minute. Rodrigo Zalazar’s free-kick from distance was nodded in by Simon Terodde to make it 1-0. Schalke were the better team in the first 15 minutes and almost doubled their lead in similar fashion to the opening goal. Another Zalazar free-kick proved dangerous, but this time Moritz Jenz couldn’t direct his header on target from further out than Terodde’s (16’).

Instead of a second Schalke goal, the visitors got an equaliser – and it was not without controversy. Cedric Brunner was bodychecked to the floor by Christopher Lenz on the touchline, though play continued. The ball came to Daichi Kamada on the edge of the box via Aurélio Buta and Randal Kolo Muani and his shot went underneath Alexander Schwolow and into the back of the net (21’). Despite watching back the Brunner incident once again, referee Daniel Schlager allowed the goal to stand.

Terodde and Jenz both shown yellow cards

The first half was a physical affair and Schlager issued a number of yellow cards, including for both Simon Terodde and Moritz Jenz, which means the pair will be suspended for the trip to Leipzig next week. Both teams had a chance to go ahead towards the end of the first half. Daichi Kamada stabbed Buta’s cross into the six-yard box just past the post from just a few yards out, before Kenan Karaman spun Almamy Touré, only to see his shot from a tight angle saved by Kevin Trapp (41’).

Tuta puts Frankfurt ahead

The second half began with less action than the first, with the away team seeing more of the ball this time. Their first dangerous move was stopped by an important Sepp van den Berg clearance in the 52nd minute. Seven minutes later though, the Eagles took the lead. Almamy Touré was given too much space down the right wing and he crossed for Tuta. The Brazilian converted from close range past Schwolow for 2-1.

Schalke, desperate to get back in the game, built up some pressure following this goal. Kenan Karaman was fouled right on the edge of the box, however Rodrigo Zalazar’s free-kick went well over (66’). At the other end, Moritz Jenz crucially blocked a Randal Kolo Muani effort (68’).

Polter levels proceedings

Schalke created the better chances in the closing stages, including Alex Král’s deflected shot that went inches wide from 20 yards out (72’). Kevin Trapp cleared a Zalazar delivery from in front of Karaman (74’) and then tipped a Jenz header over the bar (79’).

Thomas Reis’ men continued to fight for an equaliser and got one with five minutes left to play. Henning Matriciani won the ball back brilliantly on the left wing, gave it to Tobias Mohr and his cross was volleyed in by Sebastian Polter. Although the Royal Blues searched for what would have been a crucial winning goal, it finished 2-2 at the VELTINS-Arena.

Matchday 34 against Leipzig

S04’s final game of the season is away to RB Leipzig on Saturday (27/5). Kick off is at 15:30 CEST.

Seite teilen