Late Serdar winner defeats Union 2-1

FC Schalke ended November with a 2-1 home win over Union Berlin on Friday night (29/11). The Royal Blues have therefore taken ten from a possible twelve points this month. Benito Raman opened the scoring (23’), before Marcus Ingvartsen netted a controversial penalty in the 36th minute. Suat Serdar won it late on with just four minutes left to play.

One change to the side

David Wagner made one change to the side that won 2-1 in Bremen last Saturday, as Weston McKennie replaced the injured Mark Uth, who missed out on the squad with an Adductor problem.

Raman scores a stunner, Ingvartsen equalises

The hosts, who have already surprised a number of big sides this season, began with confidence and had several early opportunities. Schalke eventually got into the game and took the lead in the 23rd minute thanks to a powerful volley from Benito Raman from the edge of the box.

Union continued to fight hard and got their reward after 36 minutes. Referee Daniel Schlager pointed to the spot after Matija Nastasic was adjudged to have fouled Robert Andrich, although the Union man went to ground before any contact was made. Despite that, the video assistant didn’t intervene and the visitors went on to level proceedings through Marcus Ingvarsten’s confident spot kick.

FC Schalke 04 - 1. FC Union Berlin

Serdar comes up with the late winner

The Royal Blues started the second half strongly and were camped in the visitor’s half. However, they struggled to find a way through. Raman managed to create the first big chance of the half after 59 minutes but Rafal Gikiewicz prevented the Belgian from adding to his tally. Schalke had to remain patient and wait for their opportunity. Union defended deeply and tried to hit the hosts on the counter attack. Nevertheless, Schalke eventually got their goal in the closing stages of the match. Daniel Caligiuiri robbed Neven Subotic of the ball in midfield and hit Union with a rapid counter-attack, finished off cleverly by Suat Serdar. The goal proved to be the winner as the match ended 2-1 at the VELTINS-Arena.

Away at Leverkusen

Next up for captain Alexander Nübel and Co. is a trip to Leverkusen. The Royal Blues are back in action for a late kick-off against B04 on Saturday 7th December. There are still four more games to go until the winter break, including two home matches against Eintracht Frankfurt and SC Freiburg.


Share page