Schalke eliminated in the DFB-Pokal by Bremen

S04 failed to progress to the semi-finals of the DFB-Pokal on Wednesday (3/4). The Royal Blues lost 2-0 to Werder Bremen, with Milot Rashica and Davy Klaasen scoring the visitors’ goals.

First start for Boujellab

Head coach made two changes to the side that won 1-0 at Hannover 96 last Sunday (31/03). Nassim Boujellab and Guido Burgstaller came into the team for Jeffrey Bruma and Mark Uth. U23s player Jonas Carls from the youth academy took his place on the bench.

First chance after two minutes

Barely had two minutes passed when the Royal Blues had their first chance of the match. Nassim Boujellab controlled the ball and released Suat Serdar, the U21 Germany international going on to pass to Breel Embolo. The striker was however denied by Werder custodian Jiri Pavlenka, who charged off his line to snuff out the danger.

Schalke continued to push forwards, but it was the visitors who had more of a foothold in the game. Milot Rashica forced a save from Alexander Nübel in the 9th minute, shooting from about 25 yards out. Schalke looked to create more of a threat, using Nassim Boujellab as an attacking outlet, but his delivery to Sebastian Rudy in the 15th minute failed to fruition into a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Bremen have the better chances at the end of the first half

Both sides had a chance to score between the 25th and 27th minute. Alexander Nübel spilled a Marco Friedl shot from 20 yards out, although the danger was quickly cleared. Less than 120 seconds later, Salif Sané had a free header from a Sebastian Rudy free-kick, but couldn’t connect properly.

The Knappen failed to create any clear cut chances after this and were perhaps lucky to not go in behind at half time. Milot Rashica played the ball to Maximilian Eggestein, who then played in his brother Johannes. The striker’s shot just missed the near post (42’), before Max Kruse had a shot blocked after Suat Serdar misplaced a pass.

Schalke not rewarded for strong start to the second half

The Royal Blues started the second half with plenty of attacking threat. Nassim Boujellab had a go from the edge of the box in the 47th minute, but his effort went wide. Three minutes later, Salif Sané headed over from Sebastian Rudy’s free-kick. Schalke’s next chance fell to Guido Burgstaller, but his shot from Breel Embolo’s header struck the post.

Rashica and Klaassen score for Werder

Bremen’s first dangerous moment in the second half came in the 59th minute, as Johannes Eggestein just missed the post from 15 yards out. Six minutes later, Werder finally did take the lead. Marco Friedl took advantage of a Schalke mistake and played it to Milot Rashica, who curled the ball home from the edge of the box. Alexander Nübel was left helpless for the goal, just as he was in the 72nd minute when Davy Klaasen doubled Werder’s lead. Rashica played it wide to Augustinsson, who chipped the ball into Klaasen. Yehven Konoplyanka had one half-chance two minutes before the end; however Pavlenka had no problems with the Ukranian’s chance.

Schalke failed to break down Werder’s defence in the second half and Werder had the final opprounity of the evening. Martin Harnik was one-on-one, but his shot was parried by Nübel’s head. Nuri Sahin picked up a second yellow card during added time for a foul on Salif Sané, meaning he will miss their semi-final in three weeks time.

Eintracht Frankfurt at home on Saturday

Schalke’s next home game takes place on Saturday (6/4) against Eintracht Frankfurt in the VELTINS-Arena. The game will kick off at 15:30 CEST.

Seite teilen